If you don’t already have a RideAmigos account, follow the steps below and one will be created for you. If you already have an account, you can go through these same steps or simply acquire a connect code in the “Connected Apps” section of your user profile page on your RideAmigos account. It’s up to you!
Note for Android users: you must have Google Play Services, a common app dependency, installed before using our app. If you are prompted to install Google Play Services when opening the app, follow their installation instructions before using Commute Tracker.
Upgrading From a Previous Version
If you’ve previously installed Commute Tracker it will automatically update to the latest version if you have automatic updates enabled in your device’s app store. If you have not enabled automatic updates, visit the Commute Tracker listing on Google Play (Android) or the iOS App Store to update manually.
Major updates to Commute Tracker may require you to re-connect the app to your commuter program provider. Just follow the instructions below to re-connect and set up Commute Tracker.
Setting Up Commute Tracker
- Install the Commute Tracker app from Google Play (Android) or the iOS App Store.
- When prompted, grant the app permission to use your location. This permission is essential to automated location-based commute detection.
- The application will automatically display any public commute programs near you.
If the program you are part of is not public, you will need to log in to your program’s website and retrieve your PIN from your dashboard or the Connected Apps section of your user profile.
If you already have a Connect PIN from your RideAmigos-powered commute program, you can tap “Yes, let’s go!” and skip ahead to step 7.
- Tap to choose your commute program and enter your email address. You will receive an email with your Connect PIN. Please allow up to 5 minutes for the Connect PIN to arrive.
- If this is your first time connecting to this site with this email address, an account will be created for you.
- If you already have an account on this site associated with your email address, Commute Tracker will sync to your existing account
- Enter the 6-character Connect PIN in the space provided.
- Follow the prompts to provide information that allows Commute Tracker to detect and predict trips between your home and work. Make sure these are entered accurately.(Specific street addresses are required for both home and work in order for Commute Tracker to detect trips. General addresses such as “city, state” do not allow Commute Tracker to recognize when you’ve left your home or reached your workplace and therefore the app will not identify or log trips.)
Using Commute Tracker
Once you’re signed up and logged in, Commute Tracker will run in the background to detect when you commute from home to work. Check back in on your progress to confirm any outstanding trips and redeem rewards.
The Commute Tracker app detects trips between your home and work location using your phone’s location service. As long as your phone is with you and location services are turned on, the app will attempt to detect and track trips with no further action on your part. You will then have the option to review each one and either confirm or delete the trip.
Depending on your phone model and location settings it can take up to 30 minutes after the end of a trip for it to be detected.
When a trip is detected, it appears in gold under the Commutes tab with an approximate time of day and destination (home or work.)
If Commute Tracker does not detect a commute trip on a day when you typically travel to your work location it will add an expected trip to your trip log. Expected trips appear in grey in the Commutes tab.
When a trip is first detected or predicted it will appear under the Commutes tab. It is necessary to confirm detected and expected trips before they will count toward your overall stats, programs, and rewards.
To confirm a trip, tap the trip entry from the commute log, change your trip mode if necessary and tap ‘Confirm Trip.’
You should see your summary update to reflect the new trip.
Now that the trip is confirmed, you should see it immediately both in-app and on via the web interface, and be able to use it to redeem rewards for which you are eligible.
On occasion, the app may erroneously detect or predict a trip where none occurred. When that happens, simply tap ‘Delete Trip.’
A rejection dialogue will pop up to confirm before deleting the trip.
Manually Creating Trips
On the rare occasion that Commute Tracker does not detect or predict a commute trip you can add a trip manually by tapping the + icon in the upper right hand corner.
Simply enter the date, mode, time, origin, and destination location for the trip and tap Add Trip.
Troubleshooting Detection Issues
Ensure Proper Configuration
Before reporting an issue, please make sure the Commute Tracker app is configured properly to ensure detection runs smoothly.
- Make sure the app has proper permissions to detect trips. Having background location permissions is essential to detecting trips.
- Ensure your home and work locations are set properly. In the app menu, go to the Profile section.
Tap the Settings icon, then navigate to Edit Profile > Home Address and ensure that your physical home and work addresses appear and are correct.
- Make sure your phone is fully charged when commuting. Many phones turn off or reduce the accuracy of location features when the phone is low on battery. Before reporting an issue, see if you can reproduce the problem when the phone is at high battery.
Still Have Questions?
Check out the Commute Tracker FAQ for more answers.