Big events are great fun, but they can also be huge headaches when it comes to parking. Whether you’re a transportation manager with a sports facility, a festival organizer, or a municipal planner, providing sufficient parking spaces is almost always a struggle.
Offering relevant and accessible incentives is a proven way to influence people’s transportation choices. Conveniently, RideAmigos features both robust event ridesharing and trip planning tools as well as a powerful incentives module.
You can use event-based incentives to motivate people to carpool, bike, or use public transit to get to the game, festival, conference, etc., saving valuable parking spots!
Here’s a step-by-step recipe for how to incentivize smart transportation choices for your next big event:
Big Event Incentive Salsa
AKA How to Create an Event-Based Incentive to Reduce Parking Demand
- Create an event in RideAmigos – go to Tools > Events
- Make sure that the description of the event mentions the available incentive.
- We suggest something along the lines of: “By making a smart choice to not park your car at the [event] you will be entered to win [super cool prize(s)]! Simply make sure to join the challenge no later than [final join date] and log your trip to the stadium no later than [final trip log entry date] to be entered to win!”
- Create the corresponding incentive – go to Tools > Incentives.
- Advertise, advertise, advertise!
- An incentive is no good if no one knows about it. Similar to incentives, the best advertisements are in places that are relevant to the action or incentive. If the next football game is your target event…place advertisements during the prior game. Can you flash something up on the scoreboard? Put posters in the lots and parking garages? Blast the link over social media, and put the event widget on any relevant pages.
- Enjoy the event!
- Send out an email blast a day or two after the event to remind users to log their trip.
- Check your stats early in the week, draw and notify winners from the qualified participants.
- Random draws are a great way to go, especially if you’re offering an impressive grand prize.
- Publicize stats showing how many car trips your promotion saved. You can even use your success to help promote more smart travel choices for your next event!
Special Sauce – If you’re planning a series of events, create incentives both for individual instances and for the whole series. Offering a chance at a big prize for leaving the car at home for the whole series could be a great motivator!